the best things in life are ironic, which explains my sudden craving for shorts. after becoming thoroughly dissatisfied with my collection of tiny denim cut-offs and subpar cotton styles, i'd given up and decided that was it. shorts were just not my thing. i vowed i would only allow myself to wear flattering skirts and dresses for the entirety of the (90-degree) summer season.
...that is, until i stumbled upon a pair of loose floral shorts at topshop (which are now almost worn out). the chiffon material, flowy shape, scalloped edges, and high-waisted silhouette made them the perfect pair. i stood stunned in the dressing room - these were nothing like the leg-shortening shorts of years past. these were actually... chic.
since then, i've acquired 3 similar varieties and even went a little overboard and wrote an antire article about shorts over at college magazine. check out the article for two easy looks i put together - and see some more of my favorite shorty options below:
1. these are the mint scallop shorts by lush i wore in this recent post - they're perfect for girly tops & accessories, and the material is so soft i almost feel like i'm wearing pajamas.
2. these blue silk shorts from topshop beg to be color-blocked with a bright shirt & flats - bonus points for anything neon.
3. the camel suede and edgy zippers on this topshop pair are both sophisticated and edgy - try pairing these with a simple feminine blouse.
4. these urban outfitters shorts are the perfect floral bottoms - love them with a basic slouchy tee.
5. these boucle shorts from topshop remind me of a classic chanel jacket - but the leather trim makes them modern.
6. these punchy red j.crew shorts go with nearly every other color in your closet - and they look even better paired with graphic patterns.